Tuesday 7 May 2013

Costume changes!!

Just a quick one today, written from my iPhone cos I'm working on the go! I'm a hip young artist after all, there's no standing still aloud! Having said that, it's time for a sit down :)

I just wanted to post some of my more recent pre prod art work, some of you will have already seen most of it. 

Basically, Sebastian has had a costume change! 


The thinking behind this is that while, the gardener type attire that I had originally envisioned was perfectly good and executed a wonderful little joke about a gardening fork for a walking stick, the character that went along with that didn't quite fit with the rest of the film. That is the major thing I'm learning about character design that may help anyone else in the same process; 

the characters do not live by themselves. You're not just designing a character but an ensemble and a whole film. 


So I've started playing around with different attires and attitudes and body shapes whilst maintaining the essential features of the characters face. Take a look!


This was a quick sketch of an idea that I then worked into a quick colour revision, using pen, pastels and a craft paper sketchbook! :)



I've been drawing a lot this week, trying to figure out the personalities of Sebastian and Clara on paper.





Also this week I've been experimenting with armature design in practise, building simple armatures to test out design ideas and to figure out what is essential in my puppets.

Things are chugging along nicely here at haunts HQ!


Thanks for looking guys.

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment